5 Appeal system

The general appeal system for persons imprisoned that is dissatisfied with their treatment at a penal institution includes civil or administrative lawsuits, criminal complaints/accusations, and notification of human rights violations, etc. In addition, systems under the old Prison Act allowed petitions to be filed and interviews provided with the warden of the pertinent institution. Under the Penal Detention Facilities Act, however, the appeal system was enhanced to enable anyone imprisoned to file a claim for review/reclaim for review in requesting that certain measures (prohibition of sending or receiving letters, punishments, etc.) be cancelled or filing a report on the facts in requesting they be confirmed with regard to the use of illegal physical force, etc. by officials of penal institutions (in both of these cases a claim/report must first be filed to the director of the Regional Correction Headquarters and then the Minister of Justice (reclaim) if they remain unsatisfied with the determined result). In addition, a complaint with regard to actions or other treatment that are provided with can also be filed to the Minister of Justice, inspectors, or the wardens of penal institutions. Table 2-4-2-2 shows the number of appeals filed by persons imprisoned over the last five years.

Table 2-4-2-2 Number of appeals filed by persons imprisoned (2005-2009)

Table 2-4-2-2