5 Appeal system

The general appeal system for use by inmates that are dissatisfied with their treatment at a penal institution includes civil or administrative lawsuits, criminal complaints/accusations, and notification of human rights violations, etc. In addition, systems under the former Prison Act allowed petitions to be filed and interviews provided with the warden of the pertinent institution. Under the Penal Detention Facilities Act, however, the appeal system was enhanced to enable inmates to file a claim for review/reclaim for review in thereby requesting certain measures (prohibition on sending or receiving letters, punishments, etc.) to be cancelled or to file a report on the facts in requesting to confirm the use of illegal physical force, etc. by officials of penal institutions (in both of these cases a claim/report must first be filed with the director of the Regional Correction Headquarters and then the Minister of Justice (reclaim) if they remain unsatisfied with the determined result). In addition, a complaint with regard to actions or other treatment that are provided with can also be filed with the Minister of Justice, inspectors, or the wardens of penal institutions. Table 2-4-3-2 shows the number of appeals filed by inmates over the last five years.

Table 2-4-3-2 Number of appeals filed by inmates (2006-2010)

Table 2-4-3-2