Previous     Next            Index     Image Index     Year Selection
 White paper on crime 2001 Part 2/Chap.4/Sec.3/6. 

6. System of grievance

  Inmates who are dissatisfied with their treatment in the institutions may file their complaints as civil or administrative lawsuits, criminal complaints or charges, or notification of human rights violation, under general appeals systems. Furthermore, they may also file petitions to the Minister of Justice or his inspectors (officers of the Ministry of Justice who carry out on-the-spot inspections of penal institutions under the order of the Minister of Justice) in the system under the existing prison legislations, or request interviews by the warden of the institution (interviews by the warden).
  Petitions should be sent to the Minister of Justice in writing, or may be submitted to an inspector either in writing or orally. In either case, complaints shall be confidential to ensure that the contents of the complaint will not be made known to the staff of the institution in advance.
  Table II-18 shows the number of grievance filed by inmates over the last 3 years.

Table II-18 Number of grievances filed by inmates (1998-2000)